Job Description A Railcar Mechanic performs mechanical repairs to railroad tank cars in shop while maintaining compliance with company, customer and regulatory standards. Advancement within this position requires the employee to become familiar with these standards, show initiative on the job and leadership toward company goals.
- Perform mechanical repairs and maintenance on railcars with nonconforming parts.
- Comprehend the proper use of rulers, calipers, squares, levels and other industry gauges to perform work in accordance to specifications.
- Operate pneumatic, hydraulic and electric tools as required to performed repairs.
- Maintain operating equipment and tools as necessary to ensure proper functionality.
- Inspect and review railcars for defects as repairs are performed, before and after.
- Read and comprehend company, customer and regulatory specifications and ensure repairs meet expectations.
- Record work performed and conditions by time entry, inventory logs, job supplements and other required documentation.
- Become familiar with and operate by the most current repair procedures, maintaining the highest standard of quality to the company’s program.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Experience in tank car mechanical repairs a plus
- Work in all types of weather conditions.
- Work overhead and at heights
- Push/Pull/Lift heavy objects
- Communication skills, including respect, trust, integrity and organizational values.
- Operate within a team for a common goal, prioritization.
- Understand and abide by company expectations, policies and goals.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance options
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Life insurance options
- Short term and long term disability options
- Matching 401(k)